Title: Hazards of Comfort Times.
Scripture focus: Even from the days of your fathers ye are gone away from mine ordinances, and have not kept them. Return unto me, and I will return unto you, saith the LORD of hosts. But ye said, Wherein shall we return? Malachi 3:7
KJV.
Devotion: King David was at ease. While his men were at the battlefield, he remained at home. One evening, as he reclined on the rooftop, he saw Bathsheba bathing. He desired her, took her to bed, and she conceived (2 Samuel 11:2–5). To cover up, David tried to make her husband, Uriah, sleep with her, but Uriah refused (2 Samuel 11:9–11). Finally, David sent him to the frontlines where the battle was fiercest, ensuring his death (2 Samuel 11:14–17).
David’s fall began in a season of comfort. He was not where he should have been, and idleness opened the door to temptation. Scripture warns: “Be sober, be vigilant; because your adversary the devil walks about like a roaring lion, seeking whom he may devour” (1 Peter 5:8).
I find myself in a similar danger. Life feels stable — a good job, no pressing battles. I no longer fast and pray as before. I’ve started skipping devotional writings, and my focus on spiritual matters has weakened. Yet the Word reminds us: “Draw near to God and He will draw near to you” (James 4:8).
Perhaps you too are in this place — not studying the Bible as before, not praying as before. I urge you, just as I urge myself, to return to the Lord. “Return to Me, and I will return to you,” says the Lord Almighty in Malachi 3:7.
Testimony: Despite my weakness, God still showed mercy. Over the weekend, I prayed for financial provision, and He answered, meeting essential needs. Truly, “The Lord is near to all who call upon Him, to all who call upon Him in truth” (Psalm 145:18). Praise the Lord!
This devotional reminds us that comfort can be a subtle hazard. David’s story warns us of spiritual complacency, but God’s grace calls us back. Let’s remain steadfast in prayer, fasting, and devotion, for “Blessed is the man who trusts in the Lord, and whose hope is the Lord” (Jeremiah 17:7).
Share your testimony here and feel free to share this with your contacts.
©Dr Joel Olanrewaju, gbemide09@gmail.com.
Comments
Post a Comment